So, I was having a discussion with some of the other girls while we were getting changed back into our regular clothes. As you may have guessed, we were trying to think up circumstances “when you know you’re a stripper”. Most of the other girls have been in this business a fair bit longer than I have, so they had some fairly interesting ones. While I’m not usually into “listy” posts I feel that this would be a good way to summarise it all.
“You know you’re a stripper when…”
- You absent mindedly shove pound notes/dollar bills/ euros into your bra for safe keeping (of course, I also know many non-strippers who do this).
- Someone random calls out your stage name and you immediately turn around to it. Even though you’re not working and it isn’t your real name.
- You have to think for a moment before introducing yourself to someone or signing your name paperwork.
- You know all the local restaurants that are still open past 3am.
- You have a full wardrobe for your “normal” self and a separate one for your stripper self.
- Your stripper wardrobe could probably complete with a drag queen’s.
- You always have new bruises popping up as a result from pole work.
- When you can glace at someone’s boobs and can tell whether they’ve had a boob job.
- You hear a good song on the radio and immediately think about how you could make it work on stage.
- Particular songs remind you of specific clubs you have worked at.
- You’re out dancing with friends at a normal club and you have difficulty in not going into “stripper” mode.
- You find yourself trying out pole tricks on public signs.
- you consider coming home with £200 cash a bad night.
- Other people being naked around you seems fairly normal.
- Having a stop on your bum is worse than having one on your face.
- Jumping and swinging around in 6-8 inch heels is no longer much of a challenge.
Only the last one was my own input. It’ll be interesting to hear if the others come up with any funny ones.